Museo de los Santos mission is to establish an independent, self-sustaining museum dedicated to the preservation,
research, education and exhibition of the tradition of ‘Santos de Palo’ or the ‘Household Saints of Puerto Rico’.
Visit our Museum
We now have a weekly Airbnb Experience to combine a visit to the museum with Bomba & Plena music at La Terraza de Bonanza on Monday nights. This is a great way to see our collection and experience a local cultural event!
At other times, the museum is available by appointment only.
Our current location is in a historic house in the Santurce Arts District near Cobian's Plaza, Leonardo's and Abracadabra restaurant. Our new building will be just a block away on Ponce de Leon Avenue.
Please let us know if you have specific interests, so we can contact collectors and arrange for viewing.
Call for an appointment:
787- 455 - 4217 (español/English) - Dr. José Torres Melendez, MD, PhD (Curator)
787- 455 - 4216 (English/español) - Richard Holm (Administrator)
You can also contact us if you are interested in:
- Exhibiting Santos in your Museum - Our collection has been on display at several galleries and museums as well as the annual Encuentro de Santeros which is held on the third Sunday every December.
- Appraisals of your own Santos - you can send a photo and description or we can arrange for some of our expert collectors to provide an opinion on the origins of your Santo.
- Donate your Santos - Many people have donated Santos that they have enjoyed for many years and no longer have space in their homes after downsizing. By donating to Museo de los Santos - you can always visit your Santos in the museum or enjoy them online with a credit to acknowledge your contribution.
- Sell your Santo - please email a photo and description including measurements plus any information regarding the history of the Santo or where it was purchased/inherited. The museum has a very limited budget, but occasionally we can find a sponsor to help acquire new Santos for a nominal amount. If the museum does not have funds, we may be able to connect you to other collectors.
- Purchase a Santo - If you would like to purchase a Santo, let us know. We occasionally sell an item if we find a more interesting example of the same Santo/Santero for the collection. Preference is given to family members of the carvers who may not have a santo from thier ancestor.
- Group Tours - can be arranged when we have an exhibition or we can ask some of our collectors to bring a small exhibit to your group function.
- Special Events - the museum has hosted the opening ceremonies for the FERINART International Artisans' Festival, several weddings, family reunions and educational seminars.
- Film Location - the museum has been the location for several shootings including Popular Mortgage's commercial featuring Puerto Rican traditions: Click here for video on YouTube
If you prefer to make your annual contribution by check,
please make the check payable to MUSEO DE LOS SANTOS INC
and mail to 456 Calle Saldaña, San Juan, PR 00909.
Museo de los Santos Inc is a certified nonprofit organization under the Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code Section 1101.01 & qualifies for Law 20/22 annual contributions, as well as under the United States Federal Internal Revenue Service IRS Code Section 501(c)(3).
All contributions will be acknowledged with a letter of contribution for Museo de los Santos, Inc.
Museo de los Santos is a participant in the Nuestro Barrio project sponsored by Sacred Heart University.
Nuestro Barrio es un proyecto de la Universidad del Sagrado Corazón operado con apoyo del National Endowment for the Arts y el Economic Development Administration.
Santos from the collection are available for viewing by appointment only. Advance notice is appreciated for visits to Caribbean Consulting's office in Santurce. We are located in the Arts & Culture District near Bellas Artes, MAPR & Cobian's Plaza Please let us know if you have specific interests, so we can contact collectors and arrange for viewing.
Call for an appointment:
787- 455 - 4217 or 787- 455 - 4216
Museo de los Santos is Sponsored by Caribbean Consulting
Photography © 2016 by Delno Tromp & Richard Holm
Content © 2020 by Museo de los Santos Inc.